I, You, He, She, It, They in Khasi


I, You, He, She, It, They in Khasi


Mawkdok, Meghalaya

Subject Prounouns
I = Nga
We = Ngi
You = Phi   (Informal: Pha- for female, Me- for Male)
She = Ka (Formal: I)
He = U (Formal: I)
It = Ka (female), U (male)
They = Ki

Possessive Pronouns
My = Jong nga
Our = Jong ngi
Your = Jong phi
Her =  Jong ka
His = Jong u
Its = Jong ka / jong u (*Refer to notes below)
Their = Jong ki

Examples:

I am a teacher. = Nga dei u nonghikai.
We are tired. = Ngi la thait.
You are nice. = Phi long babha.
She is my sister. = Ka dei ka para jong nga. (Polite: I dei i para jong nga.)
He is my friend. = U dei u paralok jong nga. (Polite: I dei i paralok jong nga.)
It is my phone. = Ka dei ka phone jong nga.
They are my relatives. = Ki dei ki bahaïng jong nga.)

This is my room. = Kane ka dei ka kamra jong nga.
They are our children. = Ki dei ki khun jong ngi.
Your house is nice. = Ka ïng jong phi ka itynnad.
Her phone is expensive. = Ka phone jong ka kaba rem bha.
He is in his car. = U don ha kali jong u.
I don't know its name. = Ngam tip ia ka kyrteng jong ka.
This is their car. = Kane ka dei ka kali jong ki.

The Monoliths(Mawbynna) of Nartiang, Meghalaya

Singular and Plural nouns
The singular and plural forms in Khasi are very simple. Unlike in English, in Khasi we don't need to change the spellings of the nouns. We simply have to place U/Ka (for singular nouns) and Ki (for plural nouns) before the nouns.

For example:
bus = Ka bus
buses = Ki bus
a tree = U dieng
trees = Ki dieng

* Notice that Ka(female pronoun) is used for bus and U(male pronoun) for tree. There is no neuter gender in Khasi; both living and non-living things are identified as male or female. Initially it might be difficult for you to determine the gender of the nouns in Khasi, however if you keep reading and practicing you will eventually learn it :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here